Offensive or Racist?

• Is the N word offensive or racist? 12

1. Offensive (2) 17%
    2. Racist (10) 83%

This is just a pointless poll but I have seen a lot of ban requests because someone has been "racist". The definition of racism is "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior" and I don't see the N word as this and think that it should be counted as offensive not racist. Please don't blow your top at me I was just bored.

• I am the person involved in most of the recent bans for the people using the "N" word.
    Ill explain the situations/conditions for the bans given out. If someone in chat simply uses the word "Nigger" they wont get a ban. People think they are funny and completely randomly write words which are supposedly offensive to show how they aren't scared of consequences or backlash.
    To me that is a show of slight immaturity and possibly some ignorance but is not worthy of a ban, and in my view is not really racist either.

Some of the cases involve a player spamming the "N" word over and over, in which case it is unnecessary racist language as well as spam - blanketed under the ban "Spam and unnecessary racism" or shortened to "Spam and racism".

The cases of racism that I ban usually involve someone directing the "N" word as a racist slur towards another player, or using it in an aggressive manner which is obviously meant to offend/intimidate another player. And even so I usually do not ban for just 1/2 cases unless they are very serious. I see if someone has consistently behaved like that over a short space of time.

To conclude, the increase in bans for racism due to the N word - is not because we have become more fussy and sensitive on its usage, it is merely because I have been checking chat logs more often for the sorts of inappropriate chat behaviour that the "N" word falls under.

Hopefully this clarifies things a little,

Thanks,

Dan

• In order for it to be racist the sender would have to be racist. Honestly a true racists is a rare sight today. Its because of how an insult works, you're taking away someones identity, you're saying they're something that they're not. Like calling someone a dick, im sure everybody has at least once gotten told "you're a dick" or said "you're a dick" not because dicks are bad, but because you're taking away their identity.

• In order for it to be racist the sender would have to be racist. Honestly a true racists is a rare sight today. Its because of how an insult works, you're taking away someones identity, you're saying they're something that they're not. Like calling someone a dick, im sure everybody has at least once gotten told "you're a dick" or said "you're a dick" not because dicks are bad, but because you're taking away their identity.

And also, offense is taken not given. So like acid said, it depends on the context of both sender & receiver.