My suggestion concerning the kits

• So it is in my opinion that the kits are a little wacky. I want to share how I personally used the kits: Kit farmer (never get this one), kit police (best source of of money), kit soldier (I personally never get this on but I hate it when I get a desert falcon from a horde beacon and it's worth nothing), Kit paintball (nice vanity kit, don't really get it but it's cool that it's there), Kit starter (pretty much the best kit since it gives everything you need, food, water, xp, medical supplies, and decent amount of money if you sell the rest; just get kit police if you no longer need the supplies).
    There isn't much of a balance between the kits I find so I set out to try and rework the kits. I've just now finished and wanted to share what I came up with and see what other people thought of my version of the kits. Hopefully I can get so feedback and maybe others can give some suggestions to give an even greater sense of balance to the kits.

Kit Starter:

300 xp

Khaki pants

Black t-shirt

Chart

Baseball bat

Kit Soldier:

Desert military vest

Desert military helmet

Black smoke x2

GPS

Military knife

Kit Farmer:

Farmer top

Farmer bottom

Farmer hat

Fertilizer

Lettuce seed x3

Pitchfork

Kit Police:

Police top

Police bottom

Police vest

Police cap

Cable tie

Doughnut

Baton

Kit Paintball:

Paintball gun

Blue paintball hopper

Green paintball hopper

Orange paintball hopper

Purple paintball hopper

Red paintball hopper

Yellow paintball hopper

The idea is that new players can get the supplies to be able to deal with the environment but not other players right out from their spawn. They aren't given everything that they need from just one kit so they will still need to scavenge important supplies, like food and water for instance, or a weapon, or exp, it will all depend on what kit they choose every 15 minutes or so. Additionally I tried my hand at making new kits to add a greater variety to the list:

Kit Firefighter:

Firefighter top

Firefighter bottom

Firefighter helmet

Red flare x2

Fire axe

Kit Worker:

Construction top

Work jeans

Bottled water

Nailgun

Pickaxe

Kit Medic:

Dressing x2

Antibiotics

Painkillers

Splint

Kit Bed:

Bedroll

So as you can see, each kit potentially has it's own situation where it is desirable for both new spawns and the veteran spawns. Lastly, if a kit was desired solely for the income it provided, I made sure that "kit paintball" was the kit that gave the highest amount of money.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions? Questions? Insults?

Osephyr

• I like this suggestion a lot! I think it really embodies the vanilla survival spirit where you cant just run around and pvp with kits and you need a good degree of looting to get going - whilst at the same time giving you some good supplies.

The only problem with this is that it increases the gap between the geared and the naked.

By this i mean, with a kit soldier you can potentially take on a fully geared if he isn't paying too much attention, but with the kits that you suggest there is now way to do anything against people with a gun. It takes spawn camping on survival to a whole new level.

I think it a set of very viable kit suggestions and I might well be on your side (in terms of arguing FOR these kits being implemented), I am just not entirely sure how it would play out and if people will get frustrated or actually enjoy the challenge. What could be good about these kits is that since they are less OP than the current kits, we can reduce the timer to 10min so that way even if you do get killed early on (due to lack of defensive capabilities) you get back on your feet quicker.

Thanks,

Dan

• It's funny that you should mention a reduction in time because I too was thinking 10 minute gap would be better for these types of kits.
    It's true that there would be a bigger gap between the new spawn and a geared player but I think that the server economy could supplement the lack of weaponry that you get in the kits. There are some pretty good weapons that are cheap on the server shop like a cobra (cobra plus a box, so 60 total bullets, only costs 70$). Also weapons are pretty common in Unturned. My favourite Unturned review on steam goes something like this: "10/10 found an AK47 before I found food, felt like a kid in the congo". Alternatively one could probably craft a weapon fairly quickly with either "kit firefighter" or "kit worker".

However, now that I read your comment about a increase in time for the only kit with a gun I feel like that too would be a good solution. Is there a way to display that one kit has a higher cool down than the rest? Also are you talking about just a colt and a couple of mags or the same as the kit is now, with 2 mags and a civilian box? I think if it still gave all that ammo it could have an edge over the other kits which only have basic gear.

• What if there was an addition kit, say, "kit gangster" which gave something like:

Outfit jeans

Blue t-shirt

Blue Bandana

Blue Cap

Colt

Colt magazine x3

Specific ammo for the gun so that it avoids having the ability to have ammo for other weapons. It's pretty basic and doesn't really offer much more than the other kits. A lack of melee makes it a little more difficult with zombies and there is more need to be conservative with the ammo if you want to take on another player. I think adding a gun should probably not go into kit starter since that kit already offered a pretty good amount of experience and had the chance to outshine the others. What do you think about that. Is this kit good or do you still think that kit starter should be given a gun?

• The only problem with this is that it increases the gap between the geared and the naked.

How is that a problem? This is literally fixing one of the problems survival servers on freezzer have had for a long time.

Surely it should be that people who spend time farming for good guns / gear shouldnt be 2shot by any naked with a kit.

I like this solution alot, props to op.

• How is that a problem? This is literally fixing one of the problems survival servers on freezzer have had for a long time.

Surely it should be that people who spend time farming for good guns / gear shouldnt be 2shot by any naked with a kit.

I like this solution alot, props to op.

I agree that a desert falcon is not a fair gun in a kit, the fact that it can pose a decent threat to someone who has looted for 2+ hours isn't really fair.
    BUT with weapons like the colt and the nail-gun i think it is entirely fair that a kit starter can stand a good chance against a geared player.

Its addressing a question of incentive at this point: When someone joins the server they don't want to feel like they are completely powerless for the first hour of the game, for me as a fully geared player on most of your servers, I is boring when i want to pvp and all the players are either naked or have no gun... a challenge (even a small one) is always welcomed.

Thanks,

Dan

• I like the idea behind this, the kits could use some fine tuning.

Kit Psycho:

Hockey mask

Chainsaw

Machete

Work Pants

Work Shirt

:p

Zitat

When someone joins the server they don't want to feel like they are completely powerless for the first hour of the game.

To me, that was the most exciting part of playing when I first started. Once I found out about /kit starter, things became a little too easy, I was kinda disappointed to find it. But everyone is different I guess.

• I've added/changed some kits. Tell me if I should change something.

Starter, Farmer, Soldier, Police, Firefighter, Worker, Medic, Bed, Paintball

Maybe I'll add Psycho too. :P

Thank you guys for your feedback.

Feedback is more important than you might think and we take it serious. :)

• I logged on not too long ago to recheck since Roxk_monster said they were functioning and I'm happy to say that they are indeed. It's quite nifty to see the kits on the server. I want to ask two questions because I'm not sure if they were intentional or not.
    1) how come the kits now have a 30 minute timer as opposed to the 15 minute timer (or even a smaller timer considering the kits are less threatening)?

2) How come kit medic has two rags as opposed to two dressings?

Thanks Freenex, ACE, for adding the kits, and thank you to everyone that gave there opinions on the topic.

Osephyr

• I like that idea, but you should be able to choose between being a blood or a cripp :)

P.S I think that gangster kit should give 2 less magz and a knife.